MATH 344: Linear Analysis II (Sections 1 and 2)
Welcome to the course webpage for Math 344! This course is the
second part of the Linear Analysis sequence (Math 244-Math 344)
covering foundational methods and techniques primarily used for
(linear) ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential
equations (PDEs). In particular, we will discuss upon the Laplace
transform, power series methods, Fourier series techniques as well
as orthogonality of functions and Sturm-Liouville theory. In this
web page and associated links, you will find information about Math
344 including (but not limited to) syllabus, tentative schedule,
homework problems, and important dates, among others. Please
visit the Canvas page for this course for more information
Course Instructor: Dr. Stathis Charalampidis
- Section 1 (MTRF) 7:10-8:00am (38-218)
- Section 2 (MTRF) 8:10-9:00am (38-218)
- Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems, Authors: William E. Boyce and Richard C. DiPrima, Publisher: John Wiley & Sons.
- Differential Equations and Linear Algebra, Authors: Stephen Goode and Scott Annin, Publisher: Pearson.
Class Material by Topic:
- Laplace transform methods
- Power series methods
- Fourier series methods and their extensions
- Orthogonality of functions and Sturm-Liouville theory (if time permits)
Please click here for the complete course syllabus. Make sure you make copies of the syllabus bring it with you in class. A very tentative schedule is as follows:
- Week of 9/19: Laplace Transform Part I (Properties, inverse transform and IVPs).
- Week of 9/26: Laplace Transform Part II (Shifting theorems; convolution).
- Week of 10/3: Series solutions of ODEs Part I (review of series; applications).
- Week of 10/10: Series solutions of ODEs Part II (Regular singular points and Frobenius series).
- Week of 10/17: Projections and orthogonal functions Part I (Gram-Schmidt orthogonalization).
- Week of 10/24: Projections and orthogonal functions Part II (Normal equation and least-squares solution).
- Week of 10/31: Fourier Series Part I (Definitions, theorems and properties).
- Week of 11/7: Fourier Series Part II (Heat equation and BVPs).
- Week of 11/14: Fourier Series Part III (Sturm-Liouville BVPs and special functions).
- Week of 11/28: Fourier Series Part IV (cont'ed: Special functions).
Please visit the Canvas page for the course for a complete list of homework assignments.
For your convenience, links for the academic calendar are included in this section: