MATH 344: Linear Analysis II (Section 1)
Welcome to the course webpage for Math 344! This course is the
second part of the Linear Analysis sequence (Math 244-Math 344)
covering foundational methods and techniques primarily used for
(linear) ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential
equations (PDEs). In particular, we will discuss upon the Laplace
transform, power series methods, Fourier series techniques as well
as orthogonality of functions and Sturm-Liouville theory. In this
web page and associated links, you will find important information
about Math 344 including (but not limited to) syllabus, homework
problems, and important dates, among others.
Course Instructor: Dr. Stathis Charalampidis
- Sections 1 and 2 (MTRF) 8:10-9:00am (Zoom ID and password was sent via e-mail)
Class Material by Topic:
- Laplace transform methods
- Power series methods
- Fourier series methods and their extensions
- Orthogonality of functions and Sturm-Liouville theory (if time permits)
Please click here for the complete course syllabus. Make sure you make copies of the syllabus bring it with you in class. A very tentative schedule is as follows:
- Week of 3/29: Laplace Transform Part I (Properties, inverse transform and IVPs).
- Week of 4/5: Laplace Transform Part II (Shifting theorems; convolution).
- Week of 4/12: Series solutions of ODEs Part I (review of series; applications).
- Week of 4/19: Series solutions of ODEs Part II (Regular singular points and Frobenius series).
- Week of 4/26: Projections and orthogonal functions Part I (Gram-Schmidt orthogonalization).
- Week of 5/3: Projections and orthogonal functions Part II (Normal equation and least-squares solution).
- Week of 5/10: Fourier Series Part I (Definitions, theorems and properties).
- Week of 5/17: Fourier Series Part II (Heat equation and BVPs).
- Week of 5/24: Fourier Series Part III (Sturm-Liouville BVPs and special functions).
- Week of 5/31: Fourier Series Part IV (cont'ed: Special functions).
Please visit the Canvas page for the course for a complete list of homework assignments.
For your convenience, links for the academic calendar are included in this section: